Gnocchi is my new favorite food by far. I think I could eat it everyday with the abituale (tomatoe cream type) sauce from my work. Actually I am eating it now. YUM! Here is what the Food Network says about gnocchi, I didn't really know what it was and wasn't too excited to find out because, to be honest, they kind of look like Amazon grubs. But, now that I've tried it ... wow, looks will never be a food factor again! Here's what The Food Network had to say about gnocchi: "Gnocchi is the Italian word for dumplings. They can be made from just about anything: potatoes, flour, ricotta cheese, bread crumbs, spinach or semolina, I’ve even heard of a chocolate gnocchi recipe. Although the dish is Italian, the word derives from a Germanic word for knot, as in a wood knot, probably due to the short, squat shape of gnocchi.
Some interesting gnocchi facts: Throughout Tuscany, Italy spinach and ricotta gnocchi is called strozzapreti, which translates to ‘priest-stranglers’. Apparently, a priest chocked to death after eating too quickly because the dish was so wonderful, which is good and at the same time bad for the chef. (This could happen to me too so I better watch out)
In Argentina gnocchi, known as noquis, is traditionally eaten on the 29th day of each month. This was the traditional day before payday when people were at their poorest, gnocchi makes for a cheap & hearty meal. (Ha! That's so funny! Too bad that it is expensive now. At least when you buy it in the store and at restaurants. I have yet to try and make my own.) I must want to be poor, ’cause I love the stuff. Making gnocchi requires a little time & a lot of patience, it is a wonderful Saturday afternoon recipe adventure."
Some interesting gnocchi facts: Throughout Tuscany, Italy spinach and ricotta gnocchi is called strozzapreti, which translates to ‘priest-stranglers’. Apparently, a priest chocked to death after eating too quickly because the dish was so wonderful, which is good and at the same time bad for the chef. (This could happen to me too so I better watch out)
In Argentina gnocchi, known as noquis, is traditionally eaten on the 29th day of each month. This was the traditional day before payday when people were at their poorest, gnocchi makes for a cheap & hearty meal. (Ha! That's so funny! Too bad that it is expensive now. At least when you buy it in the store and at restaurants. I have yet to try and make my own.) I must want to be poor, ’cause I love the stuff. Making gnocchi requires a little time & a lot of patience, it is a wonderful Saturday afternoon recipe adventure."

No comments:
Post a Comment