Wednesday, January 30, 2008

wisdom of glamour

The February 2008 volume once again delivered in inexpressible amount of glitz and glam. One of my favorite tidbits, "Power Up Your Life!" gave the following tips that I thought were worthy of documentation:

  1. It's your choice, so make it a great one. Tkey to getting the body you want is recognizing that everything in life is a choice. While some choices are made unconsciously, the only way to get what you dream of is to master the art of conscious choice-making. By deliberately choosing every step you take, you will feel more confident, excited, and focused on the discipline you need to achieve your goals. It comes down to two simple but critical choices: 1) What are the consequences of the choice I am making? 2) Whill this choice bring me closer to my goal?

  2. Know that there will never be a stress-free time in your life. SO you need to stop using stress as an excuse for not moving toward your goals.

  3. Practice pragnatic moderation. Make health decisions you can live with forever. That means finding a middle ground between self-denial and self-indulgence - and having an occasional piece of cake.

  4. Let go of the past. It doesn't matter what kids called you in high school or what nasty thing someone said to you last week - that is no longer relevant. Move forward from her on out.

Yes, this "Power Up Your Life!" section was devoted to health awareness it can also be applied to other areas of life. I particularily like the "Know that there will never be a stress-free time in your life." Is that seriously true? I always thought that at some point the stress factory would stop targeting me! Gosh, now I really don't have an excuse!
In regards to the gym factor, which is what this Glamour article leads to. I am going to actually start going. No, it is not fun, and no, I do not like it in the least bit, but it is necessary, because I have set a goal. I, along with Dominic, are going to run in the 5K Shamrock Run in Portland on March 16th. This is my mini-goal. A 5K is only 3.1 miles. That sounds like alot to the girl who occasional sprints to the sale rack, but I have 6 weeks to prepare and prepare I will. Plus, you get a long-sleeve Shamrock Run t-shirt with your registration, and what is more badass than a girl at the gym running in her marathon t-shirt! Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Tishra said...

Yeah for 5k's! And yay for you for committing to it!

Run the Lakefair 5K with me in July?