Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Books
I stopped by the library this evening to pick up a book for one of Dominic's last research papers. He is researching Vanport ... this city which no longer exists, but at one point did, right in the middle of Vancouver and Portland. I decided to pick up something to read for myself (even though I have 3 books next to my bed that are currently "in progress"). I found "Culture Making" and think it is going to be a really good read! Author, Andy Crouch, said, "It is not enough to condemn culture. Nor is it sufficient merely to critique culture or to copy culture. Most of the time, we just consume culture. But the only way to change culture is to create culture." That got me hooked, I'll have to post when I am done and let you know how it all sinks in.
I also picked up travel guide titled "Czech & Slovak Republic". I have this romantized version of Prague in my mind and I REALLY want to visit there someday in the not too distant future. But when I really think about it, I don't know much about Prague. When I saw this book I figured that before I pitch the big "ask" to Dominic for a vacation (which will hopefully come shortly after we pay off our student loans) I should start working on my cost/benefit analysis so I could really explain why Prague was a no-brainer destination.
I think these two things are born out of my lack of school in the last few weeks. I really do like to learn, I'm just not into forced learning. Between my new found "culture "and "Prague" study I could probably continue to consider myself a student!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment