Being the inspiration person my mom is she has spearheaded a new tradition in our family. In an effort to decrease our materialism at Christmastime we have drawn names and focused on giving one gift to one person in our family for the last six or seven years. In addition to drawing names we find a cause to support with the money we would otherwise spend on things we don't need. Last year our family bought a pig we fondly nicknamed "Mrs. Bacon" ... this year we'll be buying a goat. Our barnyard purchases are a part of World Vision's gift catalog which allow ordinary people to bless families across the world with things they actually need. For just $75, our little goat will give a family consistent dairy, an income source, and fertilizer for crops. Yes, I have bought in to World Vision's marketing ... I am wholeheartedly convinced my goat will make a difference. Through this project you can purchase animals, shelter, healthcare, education and other necessities for a nominal charge ... 2 chickens for $25, a year of school for $70, a share of a deep well for $100, and the list goes on.
So, as we make our Black Friday lists, think about adding a cause to your list ... we'll probably never know the impact our tiny gift will make, but I am sure it will make more of an impact than another gadget, sweater, or holiday cookie tin.

1 comment:
Your mom is such a giving woman and you girls all follow in her footsteps..what a great idea. I might pitch that to Jesse. I don't want to buy gifts this year, we don't need anything but there are plenty who do need things :) Thanks for sharing Gretchen!
Post a Comment