Sunday, January 25, 2009

Miss America 2009

Last year about this time I posted a blog on Miss America. This is an annual event for me which I compared to the Final Four when trying to explain to Dominic why is was so imperative to double-check the TiVo so I knew for sure it was recording.
The countdown began 4 weeks ago with TLC's "Countdown to the Crown" (a weekly reality show which gives a sneak peek into the lives and personalities of the 52 contestants). Last night we ate our dinner of Jamaican jerk chicken and tropical salsa tacos while the first part of Miss America taped. Then we sat down with our ballots in hand and began watching. After keeping tabs on the girls during "Countdown to the Crown" I already had my eye on my favorite, Miss Indiana. I also really liked Miss Tennesee, Miss Florida, and Miss Georgia. You see, after 4 of my own pageants, I have developed an eye for the winner ... call it a hidden talent. I will spare you those stories, but know that in some things in life I tend to be a perpetual runner-up. This "Miss Perpetual Runner-Up" title does not waver my love for watching Miss America every year for the last 20 years. I remember my first one ... Miss America 1989 when Miss Minnesota Gretchen Carlson won. That's right, a Miss America named Gretchen ... I guess that was the start of my annual tradition!
I remember being about 3 years old in Drug Emporium on the westside with my Mom. Miss America Gretchen Carlson was the representative for St. Ives face wash ... I just had to have it! I convinced my mom to buy me my very own bottle of St. Ives, the peach flavor, just to support my girl, Miss America!
Back to this year, Mom, Hannie, and I all determined our Top 15, Top 10, Top 5 and Miss America based off of the final episode of "Countdown to the Crown" and each section of the competition. By the time we got down to the Top 7 all my Top 5 girls were still in it, in addition to Miss Tennesee and Miss Iowa, not too bad. I was gung-ho for Miss Indiana from the beginning, mostly because she was a very good speaker, poised, modest, and had a strong platform.
My Top 5
The Actual Top 5
4th Runner-Up: Miss Florida
3rd Runner-Up: Miss New York
1st Runner-Up: Miss Georgia
Miss America: Miss Indiana
Yep, that's right I had picked Miss Indiana from the very beginning when it was the entire lot of 52 girls ... AND SHE WON! Congratulations, Miss Indiana, Katie Stam, I wish you the best of luck. It is good to know that in an era when many young women's role models wear skimpy clothes, sing about inappropriate behavior and condone irresponsible activity that there are other women advocating for important projects, wellness, education and change for the good.

No comments: