A few weeks later we were blessed by Dominic's Uncle Bruce who worked at America the Beautiful with a "defective" mattress for FREE! The defect consisted of a 1x3 inch tear ... not too defective if you ask me. We loved our free matress for as long as we could, but seeing that it was a memory foam knock off we experienced the following ...
For those who don't see the problem, let me explain. The dip in the mattress is permanent. We have a king size bed, but end up sleeping in a twin size space due to "the hole" which sucks us in the middle. It created aches and pains and cuddle time when we did not want cuddle time. Add on top of it our size difference and I was inevitably clinging to the edge of the bed trying not to slide towards the middle. Awful, just awful. I would wake up grumpy and not because of the alarm, but because of the killer mattress which plagued our lives. So, the decision finally came ... TIME TO BUY A NEW MATTRESS. We searched high and low and finally found our new best friend ... another defective matress (AKA great price) with no an ounce of memory foam.
In order ok the as-is state of the defect we had to trek to Wilsonville (about 40 minutes south of our house).
In order to save a $150 delivery charge we planned to pick up the mattress ourselves (which we had done before with our previous mattress).
Then this happened ...
No, this is not the defective mattress we paid $500 for as-is. This is the matress post wind swoop on the freeway. We got about 2 miles away from Sleep Country and looked in the rearview mirror to see our precious mattress fly, flip, and get run over by a F-250 truck. First off, let me say we are very VERY fortunate that there was no accident and no one was hurt (especially Dominic who ran 3 lanes into I-5 traffic to fetch our matress). A special thanks to the nice semi driver who managed to stop traffic so Dominic could carry our shattered mattress off to the side. We laughed, we cried, we said a few naughty words and then we had a new problem. What do you do with mattress road kill?
The Sleep Country salesman advised us to leave it behind, "the city will pick it up, I've seen them do it before". We decided against his litterbug advise and began searching our phones for a proper dumping ground (thanks iPhone for internet everywhere). Then, Dominic had a genius idea ... CALL COSTCO. Costco was right off the exit and loving Costco as we do Dominic thought to ask a manager if we could tuck our dead mattress in their dumpster. Of course, they said yes, YEAH! The Costco man even helped Dominic unload it.
I was ready to just accept our fate of sleeping on an uncomfortable mattress forever, but Dominic was not ready to give in. He figured we were already $500 into a new mattress and by golly we were going to have a new one! We got home, called our Sleep Country salesman and begged for a deal. He offered us a new version of our same mattress for $895, free delivery, plus tax (since it was being delivered in Washington). Not too shabby.
1) Pay for delivery
2) If you don't, transport your matress in a closed vehicle like a large van
3) Never trust the weather, just because there isn't rain (which is one of the reasons we decided Saturday was a great day to buy a mattress) it doesn't mean there won't be wind

4 comments:
Holy (insert naughty word), Bossios!! That's awful, but as you say, it could have been much, much worse. I am glad you are safe and sound.
once John and I drove 9 hours with a double mattress and box springs on top of our SUV. it was the most stressful experience of my life.
glad you're safe and i hope you love the new mattress!!
I was crackin up at this story...how horrible and yet so funny at the same time. I would have been freaking out and cursing up a storm but then laughing later at the mangled mess on the side of the freeway :) Gotta love your mattress story!! hahaha
Glad you have a nice new mattress..they are the best!!
WOW. I had to laugh, sorry to say, but I am grateful that no one was really hurt. I see now why maybe your weekend was a little stressful. :)
Post a Comment