Sunday, January 17, 2010

Week 3 BONUS: Kami's Easy Enchiladas

Dominic sure lucked out with the holiday weekend! Extra time allowed me to fit in a full grocery shopping trip which resulted in ... TA DA ... another new recipe! JanMom and MarlonDad came over after church this afternoon so we could have lunch and iChat with Anton, Tasha, and Karrington in Texas (oh, the benefits of a Mac).
My co-worker, Kami, heard about my 2010 challenge and passed on this easy enchilada recipe. I figured since I was cooking for my in-laws an easy, but yummy recipe was just the ticket!
Kami's Easy Enchiladas
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 45 min.
Yields: 8 servings
Ingredients
1 package flour tortillas
2 cans of La Victoria red or green enchilada sauce
2 chicken breasts
1 can black beans
1 green pepper
1/2 yellow onion
1 package sliced mushrooms
Cheddar cheese (optional)
2 Serrano peppers (optional)
Steps
Boil chicken breast for about 15-20 min. until no pink shows. Remove from pot and shred with two forks.
Saute onions, green pepper, and mushroom until onions are clear.
Pour 1/4 of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish (just a thin layer so the tortillas don't stick to the bottom).
Layer tortillas, veggies, chicken, cheese and beans. Pour enchilada sauce and layer another round of tortillas. Repeat layering until everything is gone. End with tortillas and enchilada sauce (so they stay moist) and top with cheese.
Cover with foil and and bake at 375 for 40-45 min.
My 2 Cents
It really was easy and it turned out great! I opted for green enchilada sauce, because I prefer it over red. I also used jarred red peppers instead of green. (Pause, these peppers are amazing in everything! They are from Trader Joe's and come in a can-sized glass jar. They are in oil, kind of like something that is pickled. They are great on pizza, in pasta, meatball sandwiches, etc. I definitely recommend picking them up.) Last, but not least, I had leftover rotisserie chicken from Costco so I shredded that instead of boiling chicken breast.
Mushrooms are new to my repertoire ... over the last few months I have started trying new foods that I used to not like. Mushrooms are one of the new things I have found an appreciation for. That and burgers! I used to hate burgers and am now in love with a hearty beef patty. Who knew?
Dominic (JanMom, and MarlonDad's) Rating
MarlonDad told me he wasn't just saying he liked them to make me feel good, he actually enjoyed them and had seconds AND plans to take some leftovers for his lunch tomorrow. JanMom and Dominic agreed. Although, Dominic felt the veggie saute was an unfortunate addition. I told him to choke it down and enjoy :)

1 comment:

..melissa.. said...

So does Dom hate veggies too??? Jesse refuses to eat most..like carrots with ranch make him sick-what?!

We love enchiladas so I will definitely be making these soon! Thanks for the recipe! I love your recipe challenge!