Nice guys don’t stir up trouble. Nice guys don’t get arrested. Nice guys don’t break the rules. Nice guys certainly don’t have the guts to risk losing their “nice status.” Nice guys don’t change the world. Nice guys don’t die on crosses. If you’re nice, congratulations. You’ve become exactly what most churches are trying to make you. Grab your pew seat and fasten your seatbelt ‘cause you’re not going anywhere. Where are the men and women who are willing to be revolutionaries(definition: radically new or innovative; outside or beyond established procedure, principles)? History cannot deny that it is those people who have changed the world, those who have risked all in order to experience and share the love and justice of a God who is enthralled with humanity.
With 2008 coming to a close I have been reflecting back on what all has happened. And really, I am left with "alot for me". In 2008 I did alot for me. It wasn't all completely selfish, but I can probably count the few significant things on one hand. Not cool. Not really my plan. But, since I wasn't intentional about choosing to be radical and innovative it didn't really happen. For the remainder of the year I hope to brainstorm some ways to be more of an "out of the box" Christian in the coming year.
It is always comforting (and challenging) to unite with my online community (weird to think that somehow the online world is considered community these days). Radiant offers just that. The article closed with the following and all I could say was, "exactly my thoughts ...":
Here’s my confession: I still have so far to go and realize I can’t do it alone. I am desperate to find other people who aren’t afraid to ask the hard questions and wrestle with the hard answers, to peer inside their souls and look at what is really there. I long for a community of people who will genuinely challenge me in a non-legalistic, agenda-free way to live my life with purpose, filled with sacrifice and overflowing with joy.
Here’s my fear: I’m terrified I’ll waste a lot of my life. I know I’m doing some good with my life. (Heck, compared to some people I could probably pat myself on the back and throw up a high-five.) But at the end of the day, when I’m left alone with my thoughts, I’m still afraid I won’t experience all that Jesus has for me personally and that I’ll miss what He wants to do through me corporately. Here’s my hope: Deep down I’m an optimist (in case you couldn’t tell). I’m filled with hope that she (the Church) will become the beautiful, breathtaking bride she was intended to be. And instead of complaining or being critical, I’m going to love the people who make up my “church.” I’m going to continue to become the woman He wants me to be. We, together, are going to continue to become the people He wants us to become—a church that is glorious and beautiful and life-giving to the world.

No comments:
Post a Comment